Kenyon, Sherrilyn. Fear the Darkness. free ebook from St. Martins Press.
Main Character: Nick Gautier
Related Works: This is part of Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark-Hunter Series. Books in the series include the following:
- Fantasy Lover – Grace Alexander and Julian of Macedon
- The Beginning
- Dragonswan – Channon MacRea and Sebastian
- Night Pleasures – Kyrian of Thrace and Amanda Devereaux
- Night Embrace -Talon of the Morrigantes and Sunshine Runningwolf
- Phantom Lover
- Dance with the Devil – Zarek of Moesia and Astrid
- A Dark-Hunter Christmas
- Kiss of the Night – Wulf Tryggvasen and Cassandra Peters
- Night Play – Bride McTierney and Vane Kattalakis
- Winter Born –Dante Pontis and Pandora Kouti (short story in Stroke of Midnight Anthology)
- Seize the Night – Valerius Magnus and Tabitha Devereaux
- Sins of the Night – Alexion and Dangereuse St. Richard
- Second Chances
- Unleash the Night – Wren Tigerian and Marguerite D’Aubert Goudeau
- Dark Side of the Moon – Susan Michaels and Ravyn Kontis
- A Hard-Day’s Night-Searcher – Rafael Santiago and Celena
- Until Death Do We Part – Esperetta and Velkan
- Fear the Darkness – short story about Nick Gautier – ebook
- The Dream Hunter – Arik and Dr. Megeara Kafieri
- Devil May Cry – Sin and Katra
- Upon the Midnight Clear – Aidan O’Connor and Leta
- Dark-Hunter Companion
- Dream Chaser – Xypher and Simone Dubois
- Acheron – Acheron and Soteria Kafieri
- One Silent Night – Strykerius and Zephyra
This is a short story about Nick Gautier after he has been turned into a Dark-Hunter. This gives the reader a brief glimpse into what Nick is going through after his mother is murdered, and Artemis turns him into a Dark-Hunter.
Things Learned in this story:
- Nick has a bite mark from Stryker. Stryker has fed from Nick.
- Stryker has promised Nick the means to destroy Acheron if Nick obeys him.
- Nick became Ash’s enemy the night that Ash allowed Nick’s mother Cherise Gautier to die. Nick knew that Ash was a god and could have saved his mother.
- Stryker promised to help Nick get vengeance on Ash if Nick gave Stryker information on Ash.
- Nick isn’t really truly one of Artemis’ Dark-Hunters. She doesn’t own his soul (we learned this in earlier story). Nick can walk in daylight, and he has greater powers than many Dark-Hunters. He can also walk in cemeteries.
- Menyara Gautier is Nick’s aunt and a voodoo priestess. She calls Nick Ambrosius.
- Nick sees Kyrian, Amanda, Valerius and Tabitha together. He is unsettled that Kyrian has reconciled with Valerius.
- Satara (Stryker’s half sister) approaches Nick. In this conversation, we learn that Nick is a Daimon Dark-Hunter and that Stryker can see and hear all that Nick sees and hears.
- Satara tells Nick that Acheron’s mother is still alive and that she is Apollymi, the Great Destroyer. Apollymi is Stryker’s mother and the leader of the Spathi Daimons.
- Satara tells Nick that Ash has been lying to him – that he controls his mother and that he hurts people for his mother.
- Satara introduces Nick to Kratos who can bring a soul out of eternal rest. They promise Nick that they will return his mother to him if he brings Kyrian and Amanda’s daughter Marissa to Satara.
- Nick’s loyalty and Marissa could help Satara and Stryker brind down both the Greek and Atlantean pantheons.
Read first September 2008