Leigh, Lora. Kiss of Heat.(Stow, OH: Ellora’s Cave, 2005). ISBN – 9781419953408.
Related Works: This is one of Lora Leigh’s the Breeds Series. See Lora Leigh’s Breed Chronology. This series includes the following:
- Tempting the Beast (Feline Breeds #1)
- The Man Within (Feline Breeds #2),
- Elizabeth’s Wolf
- Kiss of Heat (Feline Breeds #3)
- Soul Deep (Coyote Breeds)
- The Breed Next Door (part of Hotspell anthology with Emma Holly, Shiloh Walker, and Meljean Brook)
- Megan’s Mark
- Harmony’s Way
- Wolf’s Hope (part of Primal Heat anthology with Sherri L. King, Lori O’Clare, and Jaci Burton),
- Jacob’s Faith
- Aiden’s Charity
- Tanner’s Scheme
- In a Wolf’s Embrace (part of Beyond the Dark anthology)
- Dawn’s Awakening
- Jaguar’s Kiss (part of Shifter anthology)
- Mercury’s War (Feline Breeds)
- Christmas Heat (part of The Magical Christmas Cat anthology with Nalini Singh, Erin McCarthy, and Linda Winstead Jones)
- Coyote’s Mate (tbr – February 2009)
Description from book:
They’ve waited a decade to come together. Long years filled with unbearable pain, and soul-wrenching torment that have changed them both. Left wounds that have laid their souls bare. Wounds that stand one chance of healing — if only they could stop fighting each other long enough for the truth to work its healing balm.
Kane, a relentless warrior, lost more than his heart to Sherra in a night of mating passion that marked them both for life. But news of her death ripped his soul apart. For years he has fought to avenge the death of the woman he loved more than his own life, by revealing the deceit and cruelty of the Council that created the Breeds.
But Sherra didn’t die. In a cruel and evil twist she was convinced by her sadistic handlers that the man she had given her body, heart and soul to had betrayed not only her, but the child she carried – and lost.
Amid the rapidly escalating violence against the Feline Breeds, Kane and Sherra learn that there’s more to mating than just the “heat”, just as there’s more to love than just the sex. . .
This is the third of Lora Leigh’s Feline Breeds series – to which I have become quite addicted. In this story, Kane is reunited with Sherra who is one of the feline breeds. Kane worked as a soldier at one of the labs where the breeds were kept. While in the labs, Kane and Sherra came together in a night of mating passion. Shortly after, the labs were raided and Kane informed that Sherra was dead. A decade later, he comes face to face with the woman he loved – one who is filled with anger, rage and years of mating heat frustration.
Kane learns that he is Sherra’s mate and that she has had to deal with a forced abortion and unbearable mating heat which caused her to sterilize herself. Kane is determined to be with his mate and to help the breeds protect themselves from a hostile world. I love how Kane keeps after Sherra – and won’t allow her to hide from her mate. Additionally, as usual, this book in incredibly hot! The mating heat phenomena makes for great reading.
Read first on October 20, 2007